Help With IRS Form W-4
The IRS Withholding Calculator can help an employee decide whether you need to give your employer a new Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate. Using this calculator and changing your IRS W-4 can help avoid having too much or too little Federal income tax withheld from your pay.
Who Should Use The Withholding Calculator?
- Employees who would like to change their withholding to reduce their balance due or tax refund.
- Employees whose circumstances are only approximated by the worksheets on the paper W-4. This could be someone with two or more jobs, a couple who are both employed, those who can file as Head of Household, or those with several children who are eligible for the Child Tax Credit.
- Employees with non-wage income in excess of their adjustments and deductions. If you would prefer to have tax on their income withheld from their paychecks rather than make periodic separate estimated tax payments.
Tips For Using This Program
- Use a couple of your most recent pay stubs.
- Use your most recent income tax return.
- Its OK to estimate values if necessary. Just remember that the results can only be as accurate as the input you provide.